It is currently Tue 12 Nov 2019, 01:36

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 18:34 

My name is Wes. I lived in Japan briefly (for a year) way back when. I didn't learn much Japanese while I was there. That is a more recent event, but I got to see the country. I have been studying Japanese for about five years online, It amazes me that there are still great resources to find, like this one.
I am currently living in beautiful Portland Oregon. I am a member of our local Japanese language club. I have a YT channel where I try and unite us students in sharing in our adventure. I also draw on the knowledge of many Japanese speakers to produce instructional videos. I would love it if some people came by and said hello. I don't monetize the channel so I am not telling you about it to put money in my pocket. I just like involvement. : )
Someone who viewed one of my videos told me about this site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJdAWs43p-s
Anyhow, I am a member at another site that ranks the members, and I maintain a very low rank, because I am entrenched in study routines with a few different resources and probably won't drop all that to try and climb this particular ladder. I will, however, be here blasting some Kanji and poking around now and then.
Wes

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 20:14 

Hello Wes!
Welcome here at Japan-Activator. I am the one who told you about this site :lol:
I have just started this summer to learn Japanese. Like most people, I always thought that the Japanese language is a big mystery and a kind of rocket science and that it is almost impossible to teach yourself this language. I've learned English by myself, but German and English are related languages from the same language family and therefore it is by far not such a challenge as learning an isolated language like Japanese. Japanese has 3 writing systems, so where should a beginner start with?

However, this summer I incidentially stumbled upon the website about.com. This is an educational website about a lot of different topics. They also have a section about the Japanese language. On this site I found enough basic information to convince me that it is not impossible to learn Japanese by yourself.
http://japanese.about.com/library/blhiragana.htm

A short time later I found this great website and - Voilà - here I am.
- Andreas (aka Firithfenion) -

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012, 05:07 

Hey Firith,
Thanks for introducing me to this site. I love the Kanji game. Congratulations on conquering English! I'm still working on it. : )
Yes, Japanese is a great challenge. I love studying it. People who are 20+ years younger tend to pass me up pretty quick, but I am enjoying the journey. I hope you will stay in contact over at GのT. I really appreciate people who comment and say hello and share what they are doing and how it's working.
Later,
Wes

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct 2012, 08:38 

Hello Wes.
Have you been living in Japan for your studies or your job ?
When I started Japanese I was learning hiragana and katakana.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 20:06 

Hey Element,
No I was based on Futenma, in Okinawa, in '95. I traveled to Tokyou briefly. I didn't learn much Japanese then. I was to busy studying guitar, training in fighting, and doing my job as a Marine.
I started studying Japanese seriously about 5 years ago. I learned all my Kana years ago too. I have struggled with Kanji. I tried the Hiesig thing for a while and it really has merit, but I really want to learn the readings and meanings with the Kanji.
I have decided that this site is a new branch of my overly complicated Japanese language study tree. So I have been tearing this place up. Wearing this gold belt is a little humbling though, even if it has a few stripes, so at the moment I'm trying to race through all the easy stuff. : )
Did you swing by Gengo No Tabi? I would love to get a comment from you.
Wes

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan 2013, 03:13 

Andeas!!! Yer kicken my butt! I bow to your diligence.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 28 Sep 2013, 05:33 

I spend a lot of time over at the Kanji invasion game. After having tried many methods, I have found it to be the best way to learn Kanji, for me. When I demonstrated the way I study Kanji in a video once someone replied "It seems a bit tedious". Is there a way to memories over 2000 characters with between one and 5 (ish) reading each that doesn't involve some tedium? I think most people who are accomplished in Japanese Kanji will say they just spent a HELL of a lot of time studying. Anyhow.... I guess I am overly tired and just wanted to say hello.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 06 Oct 2013, 15:36 

Hello Wes
Yes, learning Kanji is a bit tedious. I have learned the Joyou Kanji, but without the readings, just the meaning. I think this is a more efficient method. I learn the readings when I actually meet the Kanji in a new word. So, when I am learning Kanji I am learning the meaning and when I am learning new vocabulary I learn the reading of the Kanjis in the word (if it has some Kanji).

For example, today I have learned a new reading of 後. I already knew that it is pronounced ushiro, go (e.g. 午後) and sometimes ato. Today I met the new word 後者 which means "the latter". The pronunciation in this case is "kou". The pronunciation reminds me a bit of the word "kosher". Therefore I invented the little mnemonic "the latter is kosher" to remind me of the meaning of this word. I think it is much more fun and less tedious to learn the Kanji-readings along with new words.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 22 Oct 2013, 04:07 

Hey man, welcome back. You must have a new haunt lately. Where are you studying? Or have you just been too busy? I am doing Mango, Memrise, and Activator these days. Good to hear from you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct 2013, 19:01 

I've never been away. Sometimes I am a bit busy but I am still working on my Japanese language skills. I use Japan Activator, Memrise and some good oldfashioned books to study offline. I also use Anki to increase my vocabulary. I also watch Japanese anime with german subtitles every now and then.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 30 Oct 2013, 15:57 

The book I have used the most lately, other than my Kanji reference book, I was introduced to by Kemushichan. It is called Japanese sentence patterns for effective communication.
I made a new years resolution to only watch Japanese movies and TV shows when I do watch something. So after exhausting a lot more Japanese movies I discovered there is some Anime I like. Miyazakisan opened that door. Now I have found a bunch I really like. I am not certain how beneficial watching Japanese shows with subs is, but I know it helps some.
Ugh! I gotta get back to drilling on my Kanji. : (

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 27 Sep 2019, 14:53 

Thanks for introducing me to this site. I love the Kanji game. Congratulations on conquering English! I'm still working on it. : )
Yes, Japanese is a great challenge. I love studying it. People who are 20+ years younger tend to pass me up pretty quick, but I am enjoying the journey. I hope you will stay in contact over at GのT. I really appreciate people who comment and say hello and share what they are doing and how it's working.

Profile E-mail