It is currently Wed 16 Jun 2021, 09:24

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hello and good afternoon from North Carolina!
PostPosted: Sat 04 May 2013, 19:03 

I'm another newbie here, my name is Mark. Thank you for having me here.

I learned of this site through the JA Sensei app that I got on my phone. I got interested in Japanese for many reasons - some out of annoyance between English and Japanese translations in anime, some from reading about Japan in an old children's encyclopedia, and some because I wanted to give myself a personal challenge to do something better with my life. Maybe it's my "mid life crisis" time but I think learning Japanese is better than spending money I don't have on a fancy sports car, or cheating on my wife with a much younger woman (and getting divorced in the process).

I did do the obligatory French classes at school (I'm English, moved to USA in 1999 at the age of 24) and took up German as an option. Felt a total failure on a solo trip to Germany when asking a question in broken German only to receive the answer in perfect English, and not very politely at that. Hence my French and German knowledge has got quite rusty.

I could have brushed up on my French or German skills, or I could have dived into Spanish. If I wanted to learn an Asian language, maybe I should have chosen Mandarin Chinese because of there being more Mandarin speakers... but I have my own political issues with the regime in power in China. However I ended up returning to Japanese. I'm just fascinated - that's all really - and my desire to better myself and to indulge my fascinations is the driving force behind my wanting to learn Japanese.

Yes I do ramble. Please forgive me, it's just me. But again thanks for having me and I'll do what I can to contribute too.

Last edited by mwooldri143 on Tue 07 May 2013, 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello and good afternoon from North Carolina!
PostPosted: Sun 05 May 2013, 06:20 

Hello and welcome.
Ah Mandarin pronunciation is difficult. For the moment istill up have lots more to work on in Japanese and i don't know whether i'll learn that other language or not.
How long have you been staying in Japan ?

Post subject: Re: Hello and good afternoon from North Carolina!
PostPosted: Tue 07 May 2013, 02:09 

I've only been to Japan in my dreams and through television.

You pointed out a mistake I made - I've edited it to make more sense. I meant to say "I ended up returning to Japanese", as in which language should I pick up and try to learn, but I did write "I ended up returning to Japan". Apologies for the confusion.

Profile E-mail