It is currently Wed 16 Jun 2021, 09:29

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hello...
PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2015, 20:19 

Hello!

It was really nice to read everyone's introductions; I definitely have a better grasp of my fellow learners on the forum.

You may call me Oni for short. It's my nickname in real life as well as my online self. I'm 34, live tucked away in the forgotten paradise known as West Virginia, USA, and work as a nurse's aide in an elderly home. It's a physically demanding job, but rewarding as well. My real calling in life is as a writer, and have been writing fanfiction for over four years now to hone my skills, (plus it's sooo much fun!) with original works to follow. Yes, I watch anime and read manga when I have the time, and yes, one of my goals is to be able to watch my favorite shows without the need for English dubbing or translation. But my fascination with the Japanese language runs deeper than that; I've heard bits of it in movies and shows my entire life, and have always wanted to become fluent. Remember the old, old TV show Shogun? Yeah, it started somewhere in there. I don't know any other languages besides my native English, unless you count bad English. :lol: Plus, between learning Japanese, my writing and my other hobbies, yoga and bellydancing, I doubt I'll have time for more.

Lastly, I just wanted to say that the JA Sensei app and this site combined is one of the most impressive language learning tools I've ever encountered, especially since the basic content is free. Kudos on doing such an amazing job. I plan on using both for my primary learning medium for a long time to come.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello...
PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug 2015, 13:27 

Welcome here ! :)

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug 2015, 08:54 

Welcome amoung us. I like Shogun very much! I also began with it.

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

私は孤独な狼です。

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct 2015, 21:25 

Welcome. What are your Japanese skills ?

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov 2015, 19:27 

Welcome !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec 2015, 19:11 

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!

Element- Currently, I have somewhere close to a 400-word vocabulary, I have 95% accuracy at recognizing hirigana, somewhere around 75% for katakana, and sadly my kanji work is still in its infancy. I have a set of college level textbooks that I also study from, as well as a furigana dictionary and a beginner's kanji workbook. I have all the resources I could hope for improvement, I just need to buckle down and study/practice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan 2016, 11:32 

Hi, Oni, nice to know you.

It seems to me that most Sensei's and users here are French, so the English forum is very quiet. Hopefully you could contribute more. Perhaps you could help to improve the English translation in App, something like that :)

Profile E-mail