It is currently Wed 02 Dec 2020, 14:25

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Playing sounds in lessons
PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 20:29 

I understand that this site requires a lot, but I really think the sound feature should be a basic member privilege. I can see it getting a few more people to donate. However, it is limiting, to an extent, what basic users can learn. It should at least be free for the first set of lessons or the first 20 sounds played could be free. Sometimes I just need to know if what I am reading sounds like it does in my head.

I support the site and wish it well, but it seems like a low blow to take out a necessity such as sound. I really didn't want this to sound like a complaint, or like I was being rude. As always, continue the great work.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Playing sounds in lessons
PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2011, 20:53 

Administrateur

I do understand it's important for members. But really I don't mean such things as low blows. To put it in a nutshell, I intend to "release" Samurai member features to the basic membership as I'll add more content for Samurai members. Currently if Samurai members don't get anything interesting, then such privileges have no value.

I created the site in 2006 as I was still single and had much free time. Over the years, many people told me they loved the site but very few contributed. I've spent more than 1,000 hours of my free time for people to enjoy learning Japanese. I know you understand how little motivation one can have after doing a lot for so long without people actively showing their gratitude.

So I've created the Samurai account so that people can feel more motivated to help me. Eventually if people donate I might establish a business so that I pay freelancers to create the content. But really after 5 years what I've learnt for sure is that what is free has no value: if you are given as much food as you want for free, you'll waste it, but if you have to pay a lot for it, you'll pay much attention to how much you eat. So in other words, I hope members can become a part of the progress, because alone I may give up one day, and many people would be disappointed I think. And I would feel sorry for people who did help me.

Post subject: Re: Playing sounds in lessons
PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr 2011, 08:10 

Amazing post. The example (about the food) was awesome, meaningful, and I hadn't looked at it that way before. I'm really grateful to you (and all who have helped) for creating this site. I've been contributing as best I can, without cash (I'm not really in a position to be giving away money, but you definitely deserve it).

Back on topic....maybe a sample would encourage more people to donate? Though, after the '"trial/samples" are over it would seem like it is bugging the user to donate; that is if a prompt comes up every time he/she tries to play another sound.

Edit: A way around the "spam prompt" could be after 5 played files, it disables the option to play a file. The sound button could go in a different column between "Romaji" and "Kana" which can then be greyed out, and say in parenthesis "Samurai access only" or something.

Profile E-mail