It is currently Thu 18 Jul 2019, 07:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Introduction to the Japanese Language English Corrections
PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr 2011, 03:37 

corrections for lesson one

1. Introduction
paragraph one, sentence two:
‘Even if the Japanese language borrows its writing system from the Chinese, Chinese and Japanese sound completely differently’.
‘differently’ should be ‘different’.

paragraph three, sentence two:
‘Some want to learn how to write the Japanese kanji, some others only want to learn how to speak the language’.
This is a run-on sentence. The comma could be changed to a semicolon, but that would still sound funny because of the unnecessary word ‘some’ (the second ‘some’). Better yet would be, ‘Some want to learn how to write [the] Japanese kanji, while others only want to learn how to speak the language’.

paragraph four, sentence one:
‘The interactive exercises on this website will let you put in action all what you can learn’.
‘what’ should be ‘that’ for this sentence to be grammatically correct. I think ‘in’ should be ‘into’ as well.

2. The 3 Writing Systems*
*this should be ‘The Three Writing Systems’
paragraph one, sentence two:
‘The Japanese language uses three types of systems’.
Grammatically correct, but kinda weird. Could be ‘The Japanese language uses three [writing] systems’ or ‘Japanese uses three [writing] systems’.

Katakana
sentence one:
‘Katakana is very similar to Hiragana for it is a kind of Japanese alphabet too’.
You need a comma after ‘Hiragana’. Also, I don’t think hiragana is a proper noun, so I don’t think it needs to be capitolised.

sentence three:
‘If some of them are exactly similar, others are a little different because of the distinctive historical evolution of each country’.
Change ‘If’ to a word like ‘While’, ‘Though’, ‘Although’ or ‘Albeit’. Change ‘similar’ to ‘the same’.

Roomagi
paragraph two, sentence two:
‘But that approached is not advised for it will prevent you from finding a good dictionary (most of them only exist in Hiragana and Kanji)’.
Again, you need a comma after ‘advised’. The rule is you need a comma to combine two complete sentences (declarative clauses) with a conjunction.

3. An overview of the Japanese language
Sentence two:
‘We are not giving a grammar lesson here, but simply away for you get a first global vision of the language’.
‘away’ should be ‘a way’.

5. The Weight of the Culture
last sentence:
‘This information will help you avoid misunderstandings understand people's behaviour better, and refrain you from behaving rudely without even realizing it (don't worry, Japanese are very open-minded towards foreigners)’.
You need a comma after ‘misunderstandings’ and behaviour is spelled in British English while the rest of your writing is in American. Also, you used the word ‘refrain’ incorrectly. Only living things (people, animals, gods) can refrain. You should use a word like ‘stop’ or ‘restrict’ instead.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Introduction to the Japanese Language English Corrections
PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2011, 06:12 

Administrateur

Thanks A LOT. Those corrections will improve the quality, but I also really enjoyed learning such detailed grammatical elements. I do believe you could find hundreds of mistakes, not only about syntax & grammar, but also to improve the style.

If it's not bothering you much, I would really like you to tell me about other mistakes you may come across.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2011, 07:22 

By the way, we say "rômaji/roomaji"ローマ字, not "rômagi/roomagi".

Post subject: :)
PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr 2011, 21:30 

Shiryu wrote:
Thanks A LOT. Those corrections will improve the quality, but I also really enjoyed learning such detailed grammatical elements. I do believe you could find hundreds of mistakes, not only about syntax & grammar, but also to improve the style.

If it's not bothering you much, I would really like you to tell me about other mistakes you may come across.

(>^_^<)
Alright. Would you like me to post mistakes and suggestions here in the forums or e-mail them or what?

Element wrote:
By the way, we say "rômaji/roomaji"ローマ字, not "rômagi/roomagi".

OK. The lesson called it 'roomagi', though. That's why I wrote in that style.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr 2011, 21:50 

Administrateur

Yes, here in the forum is all right for me.