It is currently Thu 06 Aug 2020, 08:57

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Learning Kana fast
PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 07:08 

I learned Hiragana in 3 days and Katakana in 2. Katakana was much easier once I tried a different method of remembering them (different than the way I learned Hiragana). I spent like half each day on Hiragana using flash cards. For Katakana, I spent very little time and learned them much quicker. What I did was:

Got a notebook. Wrote 2 lines of each of the first five Katakana - A,I,U,E,O.

(I used to not understand why they didn't just use the English order, but the Japanese order is important as it is used for learning grammar later on)

After I wrote them, I wrote them again without looking at them. And again without looking. Then I added one more character...then wrote them all again without looking.

I just kept adding a new character each time, and If I got one wrong I would write 5 lines of it. Once I got a few, I stopped. Every 20 minutes or so, I would write all that I had learned twice. A few hours later I would learn 5-10 more until I was done.

Example:
[sp]
ア ア ア ア ア ア ア ア ア......
イ イ イ イ イ イ イ イ イ........
ウ ウ ウ ウ ウ ウ ウ ウ ウ......
エ エ エ エ エ エ エ エ エ......
オ オ オ オ オ オ オ オ オ......

(Not looking)
ア イ ウ エ オ
ア イ ウ エ オ

(Looking)
ア イ ウ エ オ カ

(Not looking)
ア イ ウ エ オ カ
ア イ ウ エ オ カ

...etc.... [/sp]

Edit: sorry, I was trying to hide the example in a spoiler box...not working

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Learning Kana fast
PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2011, 20:57 

Administrateur

Yes for sure writing them help you remember them much faster and will improve your reading skills too. On android it's possible to write on the screen with one's finger, so I intend to let user take writing quiz for kana and kanji. This way they can learn "ACTIVELY". It's what many people just hate doing, but it's also what really pays off.

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr 2011, 08:01 

Yeah, repetition is so boring. Need to figure out a way to make it more interesting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2011, 01:24 

I never really tried to learn the kana ( or did I?)
But I found that what forced them into my brain was to actively use them.

Now I didn't actually write them down more than a few times each to remember the writing, but the reading I learned by using a Japanese-English dictionary which my mom bought in Japan years ago. So I was watching anime, and every time I wondered about what a word really meant, I'd look in the dictionary, where of course all words were written in hiragana, Japanese alphabetical order...

So I counted:

あ か さ た な  は ま や ら わ
a - ka - sa - ta - na -- ha - ma - ya - ra - wa

to find the right section, and then:

あ い う え お
a - i - u - e - o
or
か き く け こ
ka - ki - ku - ke - ko
or
や ゆ よ
ya - yu - yo

to find the right kana in the section.
Hardly effective when most Japanese words consist of more than one syllable, and I had to find every single one of them by looking them up in the dictionary one by one before I could start looking for the right word under the right kana. But I was too lazy to get out of the sofa and find the kana table, so I'd learned most of the hiragana within a week. Without even trying, because I was too busy watching anime.

Anyway, that was just a silly story of my past laziness, which by the way, hasn't gotten any better still.
Now to my advice for learning kana. I actually did have to try a little to learn the katakana, you don't see that used too often in dictionaries. And I had good reason to want to learn it: So that I could read the sfx's in manga. They call it an English publication, but forget to translate half of the "words"...

So what did I do? I learned them one row at a time. when i knew the first row(アイウエオ)i went on to the second one(カキクケコ)always in alphabetical order, because I'd already learned the alphabet really well by using that dictionary.
It is very easy to learn the kana in rows of five at a time, that's even how they teach the children in Japan. You get a feeling of accomplishment after having completed each one of the 10 rows. I'm sure you'd be able to learn five rows in a day, and even get time to repeat the ones you learned first before you go to bed, so the third day would only be repetition to make it stick.

And in case you don't know ho the rows go (or are too lazy to look somewhere else for it):

あいうえお (a i u e o)
かきくけこ (ka ki ku ke ko)
さしすせそ (sa shi su se so)
たちつてと (ta chi tsu te to)
なにぬねの (na ni nu ne no)
はひふへほ (ha hi fu he ho)
まみむめも (ma mi mu me mo)
____よ (ya yo)
らりるれろ (ra ri ru re ro)
______を (wa wo)

Isn't it nice how the same vowels are repeated over and over again, just with a different consonant in front?

Profile E-mail