It is currently Thu 06 Aug 2020, 08:33

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Any advice for memorizing new words?
PostPosted: Wed 11 May 2011, 05:31 

The most time consuming part (and the one that makes lessons take forever) is learning the new words for the lesson.

Does anyone have any tips on how to memorize the words if I can't use them freely (no one to talk to in Japanese, so no chance to actually use the words)?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Any advice for memorizing new words?
PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011, 18:37 

Have you ever heard of anki ?

From what i've read, it is a good application for memorizing foreign words. But since i don't really use it that often, i can't be sure about the effectiveness of it. Having said that, i think it is still worth giving it a try.

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:25 

I find the tools here and on the JA Sensei very helpful, the app is brilliant as you can train the words back and forwards between Hiragana, Katakana, Rooaji and sound. I'll try to find this "anki" though to see what it is.

It also helps a lot to use as many senses as possible while memorizing the words! Read, write and speak! I find it good to write the words down by hand, it gives me the visual input as well as the "constructive" side of writing. It even helps to use both alphabets, as you sometimes remember words easier when you read them in roomagi that you are used to, but I've also remembered words by how they are written with kana.

For me personally, it's very important to have a system. This gives me a structure to my learning sessions and the feeling that I have really worked in a good way. Otherwise I can spend hours on messing around with so many different things that I still have the feeling afterwards that I haven't really learnt anything.

Here is my way of working:

If I have 20 words to learn, I start with 2. When I can remember those 2 words, I leave them and go on to the next 2, then the next 2, and so on. Once I've gone through all the 20 words, I go back to the beginning ... and usually find that I've completely forgot the first 2 words. Don't worry - the whole point is the repetition and to have a methodic way of working. For every time you go through the list 2 words at a time, the words will get more familiar and easier to remember. When it starts to get too simple, you start learning the words in groups of 3, then 4, 5 and so on.

When you leave the training and come back to it hours later or the next day, you will have lost most of the words - Start from the beginning again! The most important thing is not to try to memorise too many words at the same time and not to think that you are going to memorize a word to the point where you will still remember it tomorrow. Repetition is the whole key, not mental "violence"! ;) If you try to memorize too many words at the same time, you will constantly forget them and "feed yourself with failure", which has a very negative effect on the learning process as well as the fun of learning.

Always learn everything in so small portions that you can do it with ease. This gives you a positive feeling from learning and will in the end be much faster and effective. If you learn 2 words a day you'll get a vocabulary of 700 words in a year. If you TRY to learn 10 words a day you will probably not even reach half of the 700 and may even lose interest alltogether.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug 2011, 15:26 

Thanks for your advice.
By the way, we say rômaji (ローマ字) ;)

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug 2011, 15:48 

Misspelling. Floppy fingers. I have a black belt in thai-poo. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 19:41 

I highly recommend Anki. As Waiter said, you'll need to go over words again and again every day in order to learn them. Anki automates this process.

Every day I learn 20 new words and review 100-150 using Anki. It takes about 30-40 minutes. Doing this I memorized a deck of "all" the N2-level Vocabulary (1800 words) in two and a half months. Some days I did more than 20 words. Other days I didn't do anything. But you should try not to miss any days or you'll fall behind and it will become overwhelming to try and catch back up. Also resist the urge to learn too many new words at once or you'll overwhelm future you with reviews.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2012, 22:07 

If I may add to what others have already said here.
Memorizing is also a matter of your approach whether you use flash cards or lessons, so please remember to learn in random order and random meaning. Not in sequence of any kind.
Secondly, memory works on short term thresholds which are exponentially greater each time. i.e. after looking at a flashcard with a word or kanji for the first time, your short term memory will need a repeat in about two minutes. The next repeat should be in about 10 minutes and, if convenient in an hour's time. Exponentially greater time spans! This is how the memory works in everyone. Do not ever repeat continuously the same word. It works against moving it to long term memory retention.
Thirdly, when a word comes up again and you cant remember it's meaning, DO NOT TRY to remember but check the meaning straight away and continue through your list as usual. This is very important and works extremely well.
No matter how good or bad your memory, these three modes of practice will further improve your memory.

Profile E-mail